Skip to main content

Southend's Children and Families Information PointSHIP Adults

Southend Borough Council is committed to supporting all children to achieve their potential. For most children, this will be secured by attending a mainstream school, and we expect all our secondary schools to be inclusive.

Children learn at different rates and show a great variety in the ways in which they learn best. Teachers take this into account when they organise their lessons. This is known as ‘differentiating the curriculum’.

However, some children still find it much harder to learn than others of the same age, and may need extra help. This may be because they have difficulties with:

  • Reading, writing, number work or understanding information
  • Expressing themselves or understanding what is being said to them
  • Organising themselves
  • Understanding and following rules and routines
  • Making friends or relating to adults
  • A medical condition
  • A sensory need such as a difficulty with seeing or hearing

These children are said to have Special Educational Needs or a Disability. (This does not include children who are having trouble keeping up because their first language is not English).

The Department for Education publishes a SEND Code of Practice giving guidance to schools and education authorities on how they should help children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities. Click here to see the Local Authority’s expectations of how all mainstream schools in Southend will meet the needs of pupils with SEN.
  • Starting Secondary School - PLEASE NOTE: that if your child has a Statement of Special Educational Need or an Education, Health & Care Plan (EHCP) you will receive information from the Special Educational Needs Team regarding the secondary transfer process and you must not complete the Single Application Form…
  • Secondary School SEN Offer - Southend Borough Council is committed to giving all children and young people high quality education that enables them to make progress and achieve well. For children and young people aged 0-25 with special educational needs or a disability, additional or specialist support may be needed…
  • Special Education for Secondary School Children - If a mainstream schools own resources and any help given by outside agencies and support services are not enough to meet your child’s needs, your child may need to be considered for an EHC needs assessment. This assessment will always involve you and your child’s…
  •  Home to School Transport 4-16 - Parents have the right to apply for a school place at the school of their choice.  The Local Authority (LA) only provides transport where the LA is unable to offer a school place with in 2 miles for Primary aged pupils or 3 miles for…