Southend's Adults Information PointSHIP Families

Care in the home

Arranging and Paying for Home Care Charges for Social Care Services Personal Budgets (also known as Self Directed Support or SDS) We work with you to see what help you need and how much money you will get - this is your personal budget. We then agree a support plan with you about how you will spend that budget. Your Personal Budget is designed to give you choice and control over your social care support and the way it is provided. You can use your money to:•Get support from a personal assistant (you can even employ a relative in some circumstances, but not a relative you live with).•Go to work, college or a community group (for example - learning disability client group).•Buy something to help keep you healthy, safe and independent (for example, stand alone telecare equipment). You can receive the money:•As a monthly Direct Payment. •You can choose someone to look after the money for you.•You can make some of the decisions about your support and other people can help with the money.•As a Direct Payment to a Trust - payments are made to a group of people who manage the money on your behalf. This group is called a Trust and would usually be a small group of reliable people of your choice, like close friends and family members. •As a Council Managed Personal Budget – we can hold your budget and organise your support on your behalf. Let’s see if it's working•After six weeks, we will meet up with you to see if your plan is working and that you are managing with your money and support.•You should have yearly meetings after that, although you can ask for a meeting at any time.•You will have to send us invoices or receipts every quarter so that we can see that the direct payment or personal budget is being managed properly. From April 2015, deferred payment agreements will be available across England. This means that people should not have to sell their homes to pay for care, as they have sometimes had to do in the past. A deferred payment agreement is an arrangement with the council that will enable some people to use the value of their homes to pay for their care. If you are eligible, we will help to pay the care home bills on your behalf. You can delay repaying us until you choose to sell your home, or until after your death. If you are considering how you might pay for care in the future, there are a number of organisations that can support you. The Money Advice Service offers free and impartial advice face to face and by telephone on how to use your money wisely. An Independent Financial Advisor can offer you advice on how to financially plan for later life and those qualified will be registered with the Society of Later Life Advisers.