Southend's Adults Information PointSHIP Families

Arranging and Paying for Residential Care

This is an image


When choosing a care home, it is vital to make sure that you choose one that will be right for you now and in your future.

Care homes are run by a multitude  of organisations: these can be voluntary organisations, local council organisations, or private organisations.

You can get advice and information to help you make this important decision from a district nurse, a health visitor, your family doctor, your social worker, or online at Independent Age.

There is a downloadable Care Home Guide on the right of this page, courtesy of Independent Age, to help you make that decision.

We have also included a downloadable fact sheet from Southend Borough Council, explanining more about the Deferred Payment Scheme.

You may be eligible for financial support from your council to pay for the cost of a care home: this will require an assessment of your needs. However, your council will look at other ways to help you first, and will try to support you to remain in your own home and stay as independent as possible. 

All persons who are eligible for financial support from the council have to have a financial assessment to calculate how much they can afford to pay towards the residential care.

If you are not eligible for financial support from your council, most care homes can be contacted directly to discuss and organise the cost of your care.

As of April 2015, Deferred Payment Agreements were made available across England.
This meant that people should not have to sell their homes to pay for care, as they have sometimes had to do in the past.

A Deferred Payment Agreement is an arrangement with the council that will enable some people to use the value of their homes to pay for their care. If you are eligible, we will help to pay the care home bills on your behalf. You can delay repaying us until you choose to sell your home, or until after your death. 

During the period of the Deferred Payment, the resident will still pay the financially assessed charge. It is the difference between the assessed charge and the full cost of care that will be deferring against the property value.

If you are considering how you might pay for care in the future, there are a number of organisations that can support you. The Money Advice Service offers free and impartial advice, face to face and by telephone, on how to use your money wisely. An Independent Financial Advisor can offer you advice on how to financially plan for later life. Those qualified will be registered with the Society of Later Life Advisers, so you can rest assured that you're getting the most sound advice possible.