Southend's Adults Information PointSHIP Families

Equipment for Getting Out and About

This is an image

If someone is able to get out and about on their own, their quality of life is improved beyond measure. They can stay in touch with friends, keep up personal relationships and retain their place in the community

For younger disabled people, the ability to travel independently helps people to work, go on holiday or pursue other leisure interests.  Social isolation leads to depression, lack of exercise leads to poorer health, and community links are lost. 

Rehabilitation can often help you to acquire skills following the onset of disability. The local Physiotherapy service is accessible via your GP. You may also find our Support & Training for Daily Living page useful.

It is of course better to reduce the risk of anything happening at all. The NHS has published some useful advice on Preventing a Fall, and Age Concern have published Staying Steady, a guide to fall prevention.

There are many different pieces of equipment that can help people to get out and about, ranging from something as simple as a walking stick, to folding  stools, to wheelchairs. For a full list of local companies who have equipment for sale or hire, please go to our Home page and search for "disability equipment".

For visually impaired people, the Southend Blind Welfare organisation can help.  In addition, more information & advice is available from RNIB shop

As well as offering transport through Dial-a-Ride, Access Anyone offer a free wheelchair service for main shopping areas. For occasional use, Southend's Shop Mobility scheme may be able to help with the short-term hire of a wheelchair.

If you're unable to get out of the house without help, you may be eligible for Care and Support.  You may be able to get funding for a PA, to take you shopping, or to help you access the community.  If more appropriate, you may be able to get help to buy some equipment to make you more mobile, receive mobility training from a qualified rehab officer, or recruit a volunteer to take you out.

Finally, the most flexible way of getting out and about is to drive. If you receive certain disability-related benefits, you may be able to lease a car, a Wheel-chair Accessible Vehicle, (WAV) or a mobility scooter through the link "Motability scheme".  You do not necessarily have to be able to drive yourself; a carer, PA or family member can do this, provided you are in the car, or the journey is being undertaken for your benefit.